Edelweiss Artisan Bakery
No Preservatives in Our Bread
Our artisan bread has no preservatives, stabilizers, or dough conditioners so we recommend that you eat a loaf as soon as possible after buying. We use the finest ingredients for our bread – unbromated flour, water, salt, and natural leavenings. However, we like to say the essential ingredient is the baker’s passion for his craft.
Artisan breads are created by hand in the centuries-old tradition of European bakers. The technique and observation of sensitivity of the artisan baker produce distinctive and personalized loaves of bread.
Artisan bread may differ from day to day and loaf to loaf with variations in shape, color and texture due to the human touch and the bread’s organic nature. Each loaf is formed by hand, assessed by eye, and subject to the baker’s judgment every step of the way.
Top 10 Reasons to Eat Sourdough Bread
- Sourdough often has a lower glycemic index than that of other breads–meaning, it doesn’t spike blood sugar as dramatically. This is because it depletes damaged starches within it, simply by its fermentative nature.
- Sourdough bread contains the bacteria Lactobacillus in a higher proportion to yeast than do other breads. More Lactobacillus means higher production of lactic acid, which means less of the potentially dangerous phytic acid. And what does that mean? More mineral availability and easier digestion!
- Easier digestion is made even more possible by the bacteria-yeast combo working to predigest the starches in the grains. Predigestion by sourdough = less digestion for you.
- Sourdough preparation is more lengthy (soaking, rinsing, etc.), and this longer prep time results in the protein gluten being broken down into amino acids. Again, this translates to easier and more pleasant digestion, sometimes even for those who are sensitive to gluten.
- Acetic acid–which inhibits the growth of mold, is produced in the making of sourdough. So, sourdough naturally preserves itself. Pretty neat considering the toxic preservatives thrown into the food supply today.
- The fermentation process increases the content of beneficial bacteria in the bread AND the gut. Healthy gut bacteria = happy body.
- Additionally, these bacteria control yeast population in the gut, so yeast overgrowth and infection is less likely to occur.
- The integrity of sourdough is so complex that it contains a host of goodness in terms of nutrients. In sourdough, you can find vitamins B1-B6, B12, folate, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin E, selenium, iron, manganese, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and potassium (okay – some of these in fairly tiny amounts)–in addition to uniquely balanced proteins and fatty acids. Whoa! This is in contrast to most commercially produced breads, which maintain only a fraction of their original nutrient content after all the processing they undergo.
- Sourdough bread made with wild yeast, bacteria, and whole grain flour is the oldest and most original form of leavened bread. It truly is an ancient art that is crafted in harmony with nature. It’s only natural that we eat it as opposed to other breads.
- Sourdough bread is typically made from wheat. The inulin and oligosaccharides contained in human milk, chicory, Jerusalem artichoke, burdock root, asparagus, garlic, onion, leek, banana, wheat, barley and rye (gluten containing grains) are excellent sources of fuel for good bacteria in the gut (aka prebiotics).
If you have any dificulty to order, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org